It involves non chemical strategies which are useful for the crop than the pest. Measures are adopted keeping in mind the long and short term benefits of the control.
The various methods can be:
There are various types of Cultural Control Decisions like,
- Crop Rotation
- Exclusion [pests from field]
- Increasing Row Spacing
- Bed Shaping
- Plantation of pest resistant crops proves to be beneficial
- Putting up of Physical Barriers for Pest Prevention
- Preventive- Used before crop plantation.
- Curative- Done during the growing season by
controlling the pests.
Measures are adopted keeping in mind the long and short term benefits of the control.
Examples of Preventive Cultural Control includes:
Examples of Curative measures are:
- Selecting a disease resistance crop type.
- Improving field drainage for prevention of rotten root disease.
- Crop rotations so as to enable the host pest to starve.
- Installation of barrier to exclude mice and voles.
- Using wider or narrower spacings for plantations.
- Early cutting of Alfalfa to avoid excessive damage.
- Flaming small weed seedlings before crop emergence.