Neem seeds are processed to get neem oil which can be put to a number of uses like manufacturing natural or bio pesticides, insect ides, fungicides etc. Commercial production of neem tree for its seeds and other parts is quite a few countries like India, Burma, US etc.
Neem seed oil is very bitter with garlic like smell, it is however quite rich in fatty acids an other essential amino acids.
Percentage of Fatty acids found in Neem Seed Oil
|Other lower fatty acids
Percentages may vary in samples and depending on the place and time of collection of seeds.
Neem Seed Oil Processing
Use of Neem Seed Oil in Various Industries
- Mechanical Press Method: This method is one of the oldest methods of processing oil. Seeds are placed in a tub or container and a form of press or screw is used to squeeze the seeds until the oil is pressed out and collected
- Steam and High Pressure Method: This method makes use of high pressure extraction method to squeeze out oil from seeds. Seeds are heated in steam and under high pressure enabling maximum extraction of oil. This method is not very good as most of the active ingredients and compounds are destroyed by high temperature.
- Solvent Extraction Method: One of the most used methods of extracting neem oil, it uses a solvent, preferably an petroleum solvent/alcohol solvent for processing oil. It ensures maximum extraction of oil
- Cold Pressed Method: This method of extracting oil is the most used by leading manufacturers though it is more expensive than the other methods.
- Cosmetic Industry: Neem seed oil is being increasingly used in manufacturing a large number of skin products, body lotions, beauty care facial packs in combination with other natural ingredients. The herbal cosmetic industry is in the boom stage, this is an open invitation for the neem oil manufacturers to produce high quality neem oil for use in the cosmetic industry, all around the globe.
- Agricultural Industry: The principle ingredient in Azadirachtin found naturally in neem seed oil is being used the world over for manufacturing :
- Natural Pesticide
- Natural Insecticide
- Natural Fungicide
- Herbal Medicine Industry: Neem seed oil is used to manufacture herbal medicines. It can be used as raw neem oil, oil extract to be used in wide medicinal applications.